Friday, November 2, 2012

We Are One Body In Christ




So In Christ We Who Are Many Form One Body, and Each Member Belongs to All the Others.
Romans 12:5

Greetings from New Jersey as our town has had no power for 6 days now since the aftermath of Sandy. Luckily, it is not the dead of winter and gas burners still provide a source of heat to cook. The girls have had no school all week! The quietness and no electricity has given me time to finish my first blog entry. My name is Susan Park, and I am so happy to start a blog on KAMHC’s website! A little about myself, I was introduced to KAMHC while attending it’s conference in LA a few weekends ago with my husband Kee Park, neurosurgeon extraordinaire. Don’t let him fool you as a neurosurgeon. He really is a passionate kiteboarder in a neurosurgeon’s body. My hubby enjoys going on mission trips primarily to North Korea and Ethiopia among some other war torn or poverty stricken areas in the world. To make a long story short, I was riding with Jane, Dr. Yong Sik Kim’s wise and lovely wife in a car leaving a beautiful dinner for the KAMHC welcome board retreat meeting.  Mrs. William IL Han (I am convinced she is a chef and not telling us) and her friends concocted the most lovely sight; dinner can only be described as ART.  My favorites were the zaru soba in the Inalee sushi tofu pockets with just a splash of green onion in each pocket. The mushroom and bulgogi “bones” combination was mouth watering and the seafood medley of fresh oyster, shrimp and scallops made me feel like the world was my oyster...no pun intended! It was heaven on earth!  Thank you for such an enchanting Korean dinner experience.
To get back to the story, I was telling Jane that I know we will one day see Jesus face to face and will be held accountable for the gifts and talents God has given each one of us. I have been hearing this quite a lot lately. I was telling her that I used to be an English teacher and did some writings some 10 years ago, but had really put my love of writing aside to raise three daughters. I proceeded to tell Jane that I was very excited about a family devotional book I am working on. She then said perhaps I could do a devotional section on the KAMHC website. One month later, here we are! Jane’s pretty persistent:) Jane is a counselor. I think we need to get her on board too. I am honored to be a part of KAMHC in this way and look forward to hearing from you as well as we walk together on our journey to grow in Christ! 
I said a prayer and asked God how I could start this blog and what came quickly to my mind is what was given to me to teach Sunday School last Sunday at my local church on the body of Christ. In 1 Corinthians 12:12-21 the Bible speaks about the body of Christ and how each person is so very important in furthering God’s kingdom and without each one of us, we as a whole do not function as God intended. I loved teaching this in Sunday School especially with my three year old daughter’s Mr. Potato head toy. I illustrated how each body part helps the rest of the body. Without the eyes, the body might have legs to run and a mouth to speak and arms to help but no eyes to see. Or without a nose, we might have everything except being able to smell. “For just as the body is a unity and yet has many parts, and all the parts, though many, form one body, so it is with Christ. Vs. 18, “But as it is, God has placed and arranged the limbs and organs in the body, each of them, just as He wished and saw fit and with the best adaptation.” Vs. 20, “And now there are many limbs and organs, but a single body and finally Vs. 21 my favorite, “ And the eye is not able to say to the hand, I have no need of you, nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.”
This is a beautiful explanation of how God designed all of us to work together to further His kingdom. Not any of us is any better than anyone else. We are all designed by God with different gifts and talents. KAMHC is an example of this body. Everyone in this missions organization is a body part and without each one of you, KAMHC would not function properly. I encourage anyone else who is not a member but would like to be, to please join whether it is prayer support, administration, hospitality, IT support, medical, whatever your talent is because God has a purpose for you in this organization. Or if you are already a member keep going and do your best as if doing it for the Lord (Colossians 3:23-4). Or if you are not sure what your talent is....ask God and He will show you! We have one thing in common: We want to further God’s kingdom as described in the Great Commission (Matthew 28:16-20). One of satan’s powerful lies is that your skill or ability is not as important. Or better, we don’t have anything to contribute. This is so not true! As written in Psalms 139, “Each one of us is fearfully and wonderfully made and we are all God’s workmanship.” Let me close this entry with a prayer. Father, thank you for each member of KAMHC and the gift that this organization is to all of mankind in our backyard as well as overseas. Please give KAMHC more and more opportunities to further your kingdom because the harvest is plentiful. Let us all be sensitive to your spirit and give us eyes to see the tasks you put in front of us each day. And the best job of all, to serve our families with patience, grace, and acceptance as we are all a body in Christ!  In Jesus name, Amen. See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. Susan, thank you for sharing and opening your heart to us. I especially liked how you described that we will one day be face to face with Jesus and held accountable for the gifts and talents that He has given us. And hand in hand with your description of your Sunday school lesson, I too feel like a meager toddler in the presence of God. I want to do the "right" thing and am hungry for His guidance, acceptance, and love. But this devotional has just made me realize that it isn't enough to just "do the right thing", which I have been striving for. We must ultimately seek God's approval, just as our children do... They are eager and hungry for our guidance, approval and love...and so should we with God. Thank you, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jeannie,
    Thank you for your comment! You are so right...I am reminded we truly have an audience of one which doesn't come easily in the world we live in today:)))

    Have a great week and stay warm as the Noreaster is approaching...I can tell by the chilling winds today.

    xo Susan

    ReplyDelete