Wednesday, November 28, 2012

We are Protected by the Shield of God!

 
But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the One who lifts up my head. I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me from His holy hill. Selah, I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustained me.
Psalm 3:3-5

I was given this verse this week as I finished the last week of shepherd training at my church. Each of the 8 of us in training met for six weeks and read and discussed a book together on how to be an effective and loving shepherd for each small group that we would be shepherding....God willing. At the very end of our training each one of us was given a verse that was prayed over us. And this one was mine....Psalm 3:3-5.
I sat and soaked in each word as a direct message from God. I had to think about it for a little while and realize what this verse really meant. After a short time frame of wishing I had received some of the other verses that other people got:); will the child in me ever grow up? I closed my eyes and thanked my heavenly Father that He would always be my shield. That He would in times of distress sustain me. 
Then something cool happened. In my prayer time, I lifted up all my friends who are suffering from cancer, anxiety, hardship, financial struggles and asked that God would sustain them and strengthen them. Many times I had prayed that God protect my friends, but now this verse became very special! The words became alive to me!
This is a beautiful verse that is so importantl for all of us because as we all serve in missions in one way or another, this verse really encourages and empowers me! When we travel overseas and are in third world countries and come face to face with opposing forces or circumstances that are stressful, we can submit to the thrown because our King will sustain us just like He did David when his son Absalom rebelled and gathered an army to kill him. God is our protector, and as we stay connected to Him in our missions projects and service, I pray He will protect and sustain each one of us!!!
May I pray? Father in heaven, in the name of Jesus, I ask that you put a hedge over my husband who is in Ethiopia right now and please strengthen and sustain him and ever lead him! Please Lord protect and watch over our friends serving in Ethiopia full-time and be their ever provider and sustainer! Also, all our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who are traveling this week and this month, please watch over them and care for them. Provide for their every need and please give them joy to serve where they are! Help them to remember that You are in control and you lead us....we just have to follow and remain in you (John 15:4) Thank you for building us up brick by brick by your every word! In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment